top of page
  • What is a TLA/TLF?
    A TLF (Temporary Lodging Facility) is a short-term housing solution, typically a rental apartment or house, for military personnel for stays of 10 days to 90 days. It's commonly referred to as TLA (Temporary Lodging Allowance) in the local area.
  • Am I eligible to stay in a TLA/TLF?
    If you are a U.S. military personnel, GS civilian, or a contractor in a SOFA status, then yes you are eligible.
  • I get TQSA, can I still stay in a TLA/TLF?
    Yes, TLA is actually an authorization of your TQSA.
  • Do I need a letter of non-availability?
    For those seeking off-base housing options, please reach out to us for assistance in securing appropriate accommodations. U.S. military members may be required to present a letter of non-availability in order to receive the full Per Diem rate for their stay in a Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA). Please note, failure to present this letter may result in a limited selection of TLA options and only the on-base rate being reimbursed. It is important to note that some GS personnel may be exempt from this requirement, and contractors are not required to present this letter.
  • I am on TDY, what is my rate for lodging in a TLA?
    Personnel on TDY have their own rates that are dictated by your unit funding. Please refer to your respective unit representative for this rate.
  • How does a TLA/TLF work?
    A TLF (Temporary Lodging Facility) is similar to an Airbnb rental, but the rates are set by the Department of State (DoS) rather than seasonal demand. Rates are updated monthly for foreign overseas locations. TLF is a temporary, furnished housing option that provides a home-like feel during transition periods. Note that TLF rentals may not have the same services and amenities.
  • How much does a TLA/TLF cost?
    A TLA is typically rented for the lodging allowance portion of the Per Diem, with rates starting from the current rate found here. Additional guests staying with the member will result in an increase in TLA price per the calculation specified in JTR Chapter 9, Section 090502 (documentation link here). Prices are subject to change to accommodate the member and their family needs. Note: GS personnel calculation is different, find it here.
  • How does Per Diem work?
    Per Diem is the daily allowance provided by the DoD for official travel expenses, covering lodging, meals, and incidentals. It is divided into two parts: Lodging and Meals & Incidentals. Lodging expenses are reimbursed based on actual costs, with a lodging cap for the member or family. Meals & Incidentals expenses offer an opportunity for the member to save money by choosing less expensive meals. This is similar to OHA, which is also split into two parts: OHA Rental Allowance and Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance.
  • Within my Per Diem rate, will I have any out of pocket expenses?
    No, the cost of the TLA will be covered by your Per Diem and there will be no out-of-pocket expenses for you or your family members. The price may vary based on family size, but it will not exceed the cap.
  • Why do I need a VAT form?
    A TLA/TLF rental in Germany is short-term (less than 6 months) and is rented to personnel in SOFA status. VAT forms are required to reduce the cost to the military and government, preserving the affordability of rates in the future. This is standard procedure under Art. 67 (3) NATO-ZAbk.
  • When do I need to pay for my lodging?
    For U.S. Military personnel, payment must be made within 10 days. For GS personnel, the first night's stay must be paid upfront and the receipt presented to the allowances team at CPO. This triggers the authorization to send Per Diem to their bank account. Additional nights may need to be paid later, depending on when the funds arrive. Arrangements can be made on a case-by-case basis. For contractors, payment can be made anytime during the stay period.
  • What method should I use to pay for the lodging?
    Military members typically pay with their GTC. GS and contractors are encouraged to use direct bank transfers through their credit union or community bank accounts. Cash payments may be accepted during the first month when local bank accounts are being established and funds are being transferred. Credit/debit cards are also accepted.
  • I am a GS employee with TQSA, will my stay at a TLA be taxed by the federal government as income?
    TQSA is a non-taxable allowance and will not appear as income on taxes. Pre-Germany expenses, including TQSE, flights, vehicle shipment, and HHG shipment, will be considered taxable income. TQSA received during the search for permanent housing in Germany and upon return to the US will not be taxable and will not impact income.
  • Do you have any examples of how I can calculate my maximum reimbursable lodging rate?
    Calculating your Per Diem rate may seem complicated but it actually isn’t that difficult. A good thing to remember is that your Per Diem allowance is split into two parts, one part is for Lodging and the other part is for Meals and Incidentals. Note: This calculation is for Military members and their families, GS personnel have a slightly different calculation. If you are GS and need help with your rates, please contact us for that rate. There are just 4 simple steps that you will need to calculate how much Per Diem for Lodging or Meals and Incidentals that you will receive. 1. Go to the government website here and select Germany in the Outside CONUS section of the Per Diem Rates Query, then click the Calculate button. 2. Scroll down to the base that you are stationed in, we are using Ramstein AB for this example. The Key information that you will need are in these 3 highlighted areas of the chart. The first highlighted number (236) is the Lodging rate in USD at 100%. The second and third highlighted numbers (104 + 26 = 130) are for Meals and Incidentals at 100%. 3. Now that you know what the rate is at 100%, you must now calculate what your rate is based on your family composition. We will show that below. Military = 65% Military + any age 1 Dependent = 100% Each Additional Dependent under 12 years old = 25% Each Additional Dependent 12 Years old and over = 35% 4. Basically, all you need to do is add the percentages up and multiply it by either the Lodging rate at 100% or the Meals and Incidentals at 100%. Example: Military member married with one child 12 years and older. 100% (for you and your spouse) + 35% (for your child 12 and over) = 135%
bottom of page